Professor Dr. Gitumoni Konwar, presently working as Dean-cum-Principal, Royal School of Nursing, Guwahati, was born on 13th November, 1973, and is a resident of Assam, India. She completed her B.Sc. Nursing in 1997 from Gauhati University, M.Sc. Nursing in 2006 from Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, and obtained her Ph.D. Nursing in 2014 from Srimanta Sankardeva University of Health Sciences, Assam.
She has a teaching experience spanning over 23 years. Starting as Tutor/Floor-in-charge at Downtown School of Nursing, Guwahati from 1997 to 1998, she was appointed as Lecturer in 1998 at Regional College of Nursing, Guwahati. She was then promoted to Assistant Professor in 2007 and to Associate Professor in 2011 in therein. She was appointed Dean-cum-Principal at The Assam Royal Global University, Guwahati, where she is working till date.
Her research experience includes her role as Principal Investigator in the projects:
- Health Related Quality of Life in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patient
- Level of Depression and coping strategies adopted by Cancer Patients receiving treatment in Mizoram State Cancer Institute
- Anxiety level of family members attending ICU patients
- Knowledge on effects of the Alcoholism among Students of Higher School in Urban Areas of Mizoram, India
- The Barriers and Challenges of Conducting Nursing Research and Communication Research Finding into Practice
She has also worked as Co-investigator in the projects:
- Quality of Life in Cancer Patients undergoing Chemotherapy in B. Barooah Cancer Institute, Assam
- Knowledge regarding risk factors of Cardiovascular Disease among patients with Cardiovascular Disease
- Effectiveness of hot versus cold compress for reducing Intravenous Tissue Infiltration
- Knowledge and Practice regarding postnatal exercises among mothers admitted in postnatal ward in Gauhati Medical College and Hospital
She worked as Ph.D Guide & Adjudicator in the projects:
- “Effectiveness of video assisted comprehensive teaching program on knowledge, stigma, compliance and life mechanism among the tuberculosis patients” submitted by Sr. Prabha Grace, Saveetha University, Chennai
- “A study of Coronary Artery Disease risk behavior and the effect of Planned Health counseling on risk behavior of selected Population at Kolkata” submitted to The West Bengal University of Health and Sciences, Kolkata – Degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing
- “Effectiveness of non-weight-bearing exercise on diabetic foot ulcer healing, risk assessment and health related quality of life” submitted to Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education & Research, Chennai
HONOURS & ACHIEVEMENTS
She was conferred the rank of ‘Lieutenant’ by the Indian Territorial Army (MNS) from 2002 – 2013, the rank of ‘Ph.D. Guideship’ in 2014, and the rank of ‘Assistant Zonal Officer’ by Srimanta Sankardeva University of Health Sciences in 2016.
She was awarded the “Education Leadership Award” in Dewang Mehta National Education Awards, 2019, and “Women Researcher Award” in the 4th International Scientist Awards on Engineering, Science and Medicine, 2020. She has also been selected and invited to receive “RACE-2020 India Award for Distinguished Professor” in the 3rd International Award Conference on “Research, Analyze, Communicate and Evaluate”, 15th March, 2020.
She has authored over 30 publications; the latest publications as first author are:
- Konwar G, Deori U. Assessment of knowledge and awareness on thyroid disorders and impact of thyroid disorders during pregnancy among women in Assam. Int J Health Sci Res. 2019; 9(9):99-102
- Konwar G, Borah M. A study to assess burden of care and coping mechanism of family members of schizophrenia patients. Int. J Health Sci Res. 2019; 9(7): 63-68 (ijhsr.org ISSN: 2249-9571)
- Gitumoni Konwar, Anamita Bora. A descriptive study to assess the knowledge of oral hygiene among middle school students in selected schools of Ranchi, Jharkhand. IP Journal of Pediatrics and Nursing Science, 2019;2(1):8-12
- Gitumoni Konwar, Jayshree Kalita. The Barriers and Challenges of Conducting Nursing Research and Communicating Research Findings into Practice. International Journal of Health Sciences & Research Vol.8; Issue: 6, 216-222, 2018, (www.ijhsr.org ISSN: 2249-9571)
- Gitumoni Konwar, Lalthanpuii. Knowledge on effects of the Alcoholism among students of Higher Secondary Schools in Urban Areas of Mizoram, India. Journal of Community Guidance & Research. Vol-33 No.3 Page 78-82, 2016 (ISSN 0970-1346)
ADDITIONAL ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
She has also aptly performed the additional professional roles & responsibilities entrusted to her which include:
- Zonal Secretary of Nursing Research Society of India
- GFATM trainer for HIV/ART, Strengthening pre service education
- National Institute Disaster Management Trainer on Psycho-Social Care in Disaster Management.
- JAPHIGO trainer for strengthening pre service nursing education
- Examiner & Paper-setter for West Bengal University of Health Sciences, NEHU, etc.
- Reviewer in numerous scientific journals like Journal of Preventive & Holistic Medicine, etc.
- Book Reviewer for Target High Staff Nurse Recruitment, CBS Publication.
- Chapter Contributor in the Textbook of Nursing Education of CBS Publisher.