Ph.D (Biotechnology), CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology
(IMTECH) in collaboration with Department of Biotechnology, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
M. Sc. (Microbiology), Department of Microbiology, Jiwaji University, Gwalior, India (2002-2004).
B. Sc. Botany (Hons), Department of Botany, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India (1999-2002).
Scientist D from 13th July 2018- till date at National Institute of Animal Biotechnology (NIAB),
Assistant Professor from October 2015- 10th July 2018, Amity Institute of Biotechnology, Amity
University, Noida, India
Visiting Scientist from 2014 to 2015, Department of Material Science and Engineering, University of
Washington, Seattle, USA.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow from 2010 to 2014, Campus IFOM-IEO, Milan, Italy.
Exchange Program at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore in 2008
SERB-ECR 2016 “Development of peptide functionalized gold nanoparticles for efficient targeting and
imaging of urokinase plasminogen activator receptor (uPAR) in cancer diagnostics” Date of sanction:
04/11/16, Completion Date: 03/08/20; Approved Cost: Rs. 35,04,600.00 (Ongoing as Principal
DBT-Biocare 2016 “Iron oxide nanoparticles-peptide complexes for imaging of urokinase plasminogen
activator receptor (uPAR) in cancer diagnostics” Date of sanction: 04/07/2017, Completion Date:
25/08/2021; Approved Cost: Rs. 24,67,410.00 (Ongoing as Principal Investigator)
DST-INSA Young Scientist 2019 “Fabrication of paper device for real time detection of aflatoxin in
milk” (As mentor for the period of 2 months 1st July to 31st August, 2019)
ICMR 2019 “Electrochemical nanosensor of BACE1 for early detection for Alzheimer disease” Date of sanction: 04/07/2017, Completion Date: 04/07/2020; Approved Cost: Rs. 1500000.00 (Ongoing as Co-
DBT-Flagship 2019 “Genomics assisted pathobiology to identify novel targets for diagnosis and
therapeutic intervention(s) of Japanese encephalitis and Leptospirosis” Date of sanction: 04/03/2019,
Completion Date: 03/03/2022; Approved Cost: Cr. 8.00 (Ongoing as Supporting Investigator)
DBT-EMR 2020 “Development of Multiplex/Disposable Paper Microfluidic Device for Detection of β-
lactam antibiotic residues in livestock and poultry products” Proposed Cost: Rs. 40,37,000.00 (Submitted as Principal Investigator)
SERB-IRHPA 2020 “COVID-SCAN (Novel diagnostic platforms for point-of-care SARS-CoV-2
detection)” Approved Cost: Rs. 59,90,000.00 (Approved)
Publications (Total Impact Factor- 184.251, Citation-745, h-index-15, i10 index-18)
1) Sandeep Kumar Kushwaha$, Veerbhan Kesarwani, Samraggi Choudhury, Sonu Gandhi, Shailesh Sharma, SARS-CoV-2 transcriptome analysis and molecular cataloguing of immunodominant epitopes for multi-epitope based vaccine design. Biorxiv, 2020, 1-26, doi:https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.05.14.097170
2) Akanksha Roberts, Neha Chauhan, Saurav Islam, Subhasis Mahari, Bhaskar Gawri, Ravi Kumar Gandham, Subeer S Majumdar, Arindam Ghosh, Sonu Gandhi$, Functionalized Graphene-Based Field-Effect Transistors for Detection of Japanese Encephalitis and Avian Influenza Virus. Scientific Reports,2020 (under minor revision), (Impact Factor- 4.12).
3) Emir Yasun, Reza Mohammadinejad, Farah Benyettou, Sonu Gandhi, Numan Gozubenli, Ljuboslav Boskic, Hamed Arami, Hollow Micro and Nanostructures for Therapeutic, Biosensing and Imaging Applications. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, 2020 (under revision), (Impact Factor-2.606)
4) Subhasis Mahari, Akanksha Roberts, Deepshikha Shahdeo, Sonu Gandhi$, eCovSens-Ultrasensitive Novel In-House Built Printed Circuit Board Based Electrochemical Device for Rapid Detection of nCovid-19 antigen, a spike protein domain 1 of SARS-CoV-2. Biorxiv, 2020, 1-20. doi:
5) Sonu Gandhi$, Amit Kumar Srivastava$, Upasana Ray$, Prem Prakash Tripathi$, Is the collapse of
respiratory center in the brain responsible for breakdown of COVID-19 patients? ACS Chemical
Neuroscience, 2020, doi: 10.1021/acschemneuro.0c00217 (Impact Factor- 4.21).
6) Sreyashi Chandra, Md Tanjim Alam, Jhilik Dey, Baby Chakrapani P S, Amit Kumar Srivastava, Sonu
Gandhi, Prem Prakash Tripathi, Healthy gut, healthy brain: The gut microbiome in neurodegenerative
disorders. Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry, 2020, DOI: 10.2174/1568026620666200413091101,
(Impact Factor- 3.442).
7) Swati Kaushik, Sonu Gandhi*, Mehak Chauhan*, Deepa Ghosh, Aneesh Chandrasekharan, Avanish Singh Parmar, Alpana Sharma, T.R. Santhoshkumar, and Deepa Suhag, Water-templated, Polysaccharide-rich, Bio-artificial 3D Microarchitectures as Extra-Cellular Matrix Bioautomatons. (equal contribution), ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2020, http://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.0c01012 (Impact Factor-
8.456). (* = equal contribution)
8) Young-Kyu Han, Shruti Shukla, Yuvaraj Haldorai, Vivek K. Bajpai, Imran Khan, Kang Sung-Min, Sonu
Gandhi, Yun Suk Huh, Bioreceptor-free, sensitive and rapid electrochemical detection of patulin fungal
toxin, using a reduced graphene oxide@SnO2 nanocomposite, Material Science & Engineering C, 2020.
113, 110916 (Impact Factor- 4.959).
9) Akanksha Roberts, Sonu Gandhi$, Japanese encephalitis Virus: A Review on Emerging Diagnostic Techniques, Frontiers in Bioscience, 2020, 25, 1875-1893, (Impact Factor- 2.349).
10) Sarthak Nandi, Ayusi Mondal, Akanksha Roberts, Sonu Gandhi$. Biosensor platforms for rapid detection of HIV. Advances in Clinical Chemistry, 2020 (in Press), (Impact Factor- 4.205).
11) Aruna Kasoju, Azmat Ali Khan, Narlawar Sagar Shrikrishna, Deepshikha Shahdeo, Amer M. Alanazi,
Sonu Gandhi$, Microfluidic Paper Device for Rapid Detection of Aflatoxin B1 using Aptamer Based Colorimetric Assay. RSC Advances, 2020, 10, 11843 – 11850, (Impact Factor- 3.049).
12) Aruna Kasoju, Deepshikha Shahdeo, Azmat Ali Khan, Narlawar Sagar Shrikrishna, Subhashish Mahiri,
Amer M. Alanazi, Mashooq Ahmad Bhat, Jyotsnendu Giri, Sonu Gandhi$, Fabrication of microfluidic
device for Aflatoxin M1 detection in milk samples with specific aptamers. Scientific Reports, 2020, 10,
4627 (Impact Factor- 4.122)
13) Vivek K. Bajpai, Cheol Woo Oh, Imran Khan, Yuvaraj Haldorai, Sonu Gandhi, Hoomin Lee, Xinjie
Song, Myunghee Kim, Ashutosh Upadhyay, Yun Suk Huh, Young-Kyu Han, Shruti Shukla, Fluorescent
immunoliposomal nanovesicles for rapid multi-well immuno-biosensing of histamine in fish samples,
Chemosphere, 2020, 243, 125404, (Impact Factor- 5.108).2019:
14) Akanksha Roberts, Prem Prakash Tripathi, Sonu Gandhi$, Graphene nanosheets as electric mediator for
ultrafast sensing of urokinase plasminogen activator receptor-a biomarker of cancer, Biosensors and
Bioelectronics, 2019, 141, 111398, (Impact Factor- 9.518).
15) Jhillik Dey, Tanjim Alam, Sreyashi Chandra, Sonu Gandhi, Prem Prakash Tripathi$, Recalibrating the
Existence of New Neurons in Adult Brain, ACS Chemical Neuroscience, 2019, 10, 2091-2093, (Impact
16) Manoj Shrivastava, Akansha Srivastava, Sonu Gandhi, Appan Roychoudhury, Alesh Kumar, RK
Singhal, Sandeep Kumar Jha, SD Singh, Monitoring of engineered nanoparticles in soil-plant system: A review. Environmental Nanotechnology, Monitoring & Management, 2019, 11, 100218, (Impact Factor-
17) Sonu Gandhi$, Jalaj Gupta, Prem Prakash Tripathi, The Curious Case of Human Hippocampal Neurogenesis, ACS Chemical Neuroscience, 2019, 10, 1131-1132, (Impact Factor- 4.21).
18) Saurav Islam, Shruti Shukla, Vivek K. Bajpai, Young-Kyu Han, Yun Suk Huh, Arindam Ghosh, Sonu
Gandhi$, Microfluidic based graphene field effect transistor for femtomolar detection of chlorpyrifos
pesticide, Scientific Reports, 2019, 9, 276-282, (Impact Factor- 4.525).
19) Saurav Islam, Shruti Shukla, Vivek K. Bajpai, Young-Kyu Han, Yun Suk Huh, Arindam Ghosh, Sonu Gandhi$, A smart nanosensor for the detection of human immunodeficiency virus and associated
cardiovascular and arthritis diseases using functionalized graphene-based transistors, Biosensors and
Bioelectronics,2019, 126, 792-799, (Impact Factor- 9.518).2018:20) Prem Prakash Tripathi$, Hamed Arami, Ivneet Banga, Jalaj Gupta, Sonu Gandhi$, Cell penetrating peptides in preclinical and clinical cancer diagnosis and therapy, Oncotarget, 2018, 9, 37252-37267,(Impact Factor- 5.168).
21) Priya Mishra, Ivneet Banga, Roshika Tyagi, Tanya Munjal, Aditya Goel, Neena Capalash, Prince Sharma,
CR Suri, Sonu Gandhi$, An immunochromatographic dipstick as an alternate for monitoring of heroin metabolites in urine samples, RSC Advances,2018, 8, 23163-23170, (Impact Factor- 3.049).
22) Anita Talan, Annu Mishra, Sergei A. Eremin, Jagriti Narang, Ashok Kumar, Sonu Gandhi$. Detecting
chlorpyrifos pesticides using ultrasensitive nanoparticles. Current Science, 2018, 114, 1-4, (Impact
23) Anita Talan, Annu Mishra, Sergei A. Eremin, Jagriti Narang, Ashok Kumar, Sonu Gandhi$. Ultrasensitive electrochemical immunosensing platform based on gold nanoparticles triggering
chlorpyrifos detection in fruits and vegetables. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2018, 105, 14–21, (Impact
24) Sonu Gandhi$, Ivneet Banga, Pawan Kumar Maurya, Sergei A. Eremin. Gold nanoparticles-single chain
fragment variable antibody as immunoprobe for rapid detection of morphine by dipstick. RSC Advances,
2018, 8 (3), 1511-1518, (Impact Factor- 3.049).
25) Smritee Singh, Priya Mishra, Ivneet Banga, Avanish S Parmar, P PTripathi, Sonu Gandhi$. Chemiluminescence based immunoassay for the detection of heroin and its metabolites. Bioimpacts, 2018, 8 (1), 57-62, (Impact Factor- 3.23).
26) Pankaj Suman, Sonu Gandhi$, Prahanshu Kumar, Kirti Garg. Prospects of electrochemical biosensor for
the early diagnosis of preeclampsia. American Journal of Reproductive Immunology, 2017, 77, 1-10,
(Impact Factor- 3.0).
27) Sonu Gandhi, Hamed Arami, Kannnan M. Krishnan, Detection of cancer-specific proteases using
magnetic relaxation of peptide-conjugated nanoparticles in biological environment. Nanoletters, 2016, 16,
3668–3674, (Impact Factor- 13.8).
28) Sonu Gandhi$, Pankaj Suman, Ashok Kumar, Prince Sharma, Neena Capalash and C. R. Suri. Recent
advances in opiate immunosensor for narcotic drug detection. Bioimpacts, 2015, 5, 207-213, (Impact
29) Asahi Tomitaka, Hamed Arami, Sonu Gandhi, Kannan M Krishnan. Lactoferrin conjugated iron oxide
nanoparticles for targeting brain glioma cells in magnetic particle imaging. Nanoscale, 2015, 7, 16890–
16898, (Impact Factor- 7.76).
30) Baoyu Zhao, Sonu Gandhi, Cai Yuan, Zhipu Luo, Rui Li, Henrik Gårdsvoll, Nicolai Sidenius, Mingdong
Huang, Michael Ploug. Mapping the topographic epitope landscape on the urokinase plasminogen
activator receptor (uPAR) by surface plasmon resonance and x-ray crystallography. Data in Brief, 2015,
5, 107–113, (Impact Factor- 0.5).
31) Baoyu Zhao, Sonu Gandhi, Cai Yuan, Zhipu Luo, Rui Li, Henrik Gårdsvoll, Nicolai Sidenius, Mingdong
Huang, Michael Ploug. Stabilizing a flexible interdomain hinge region harboring the SMB binding site
drives uPAR into its closed conformation. Journal of Molecular Biology, 2015, 427, 1389–1403, (Impact
32) Shaveena Thakur, Sonu Gandhi, A. K. Paul, C. Raman Suri, A Flow Injection Immunosensor for the Detection of Atrazine in Water Samples, Sensors and Transducers, 2011, 131, 91-100, (Impact Factor-0.987).
33) Priyanka Sharma, Sonu Gandhi, C. Raman Suri, Fluoroimmunoassay based on suppression of
fluorescence self-quenching for ultra-sensitive detection of herbicide diuron, Analytica Chimica Acta,
2010, 676, 87-92, (Impact Factor-5.256).
34) J. N. Tey*, S. Gandhi*, I. P. M. Wijaya, Al. Palaniappan, J. Wei, I. Rodriguez, C. R. Suri and S. G.
Mhaisalkar, Direct Detection of Heroin Metabolites using a Carbon Nanotubes Liquid Gated Field Effect
Transistor based Competitive Immunoassay, SMALL, 2010, 6, 993-998. (*contributed equally)
(highlighted in Nature India) (Impact Factor-10.856).
35) I Putu Mahendra Wijaya, Tey Ju Nie, Sonu Gandhi, Robin Boro, Isabel Rodriguez, Subodh G.
Mhaisalkar, C. Raman Suri, Alagappan Palaniappan, Goh Wei Hau, Femto Molar Detection of 2, 4-
dichlorophenoxyacetic acid Herbicides via Competitive Immunoassays using Microfluidic Based Carbon
Nanotube Liquid Gated Transistor, Lab on a Chip, 2010, 10, 634–638, (Impact Factor- 6.914).
36) I Putu Mahendra Wijaya*, Sonu Gandhi*, Tey Ju Nie, Nishima Wangoo, G. Shekhawat, C. Raman Suri,
Isabel Rodriguez, and Subodh G. Mhaisalkar, Protein/carbon nanotubes interaction: The effect of
carboxylic groups on conformational and conductance changes, Applied Physics Letters, 2009, 95,
073704, (*contributed equally to work) (Impact Factor-3.495).
37) Sonu Gandhi, Neena Capalash, Prince Sharma and C Raman Suri, Strip based immunochromatographic
assay using specific egg yolk antibodies for rapid detection of heroin and its metabolites in urine samples,
Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2009, 25, 502–505, (highlighted in Nature India) (Impact Factor-9.518).
38) C. Raman Suri, Robin Boro, Yogesh Nangia, Sonu Gandhi, Nishima Wangoo, Priyanka Sharma, G. S.
Shekhawat, Immunoanalytical techniques for the analysis of pesticides in the environment, Trends in
Analytical Chemistry, 2009, 28, 29-31, (Impact Factor- 8.442).
39) C. Raman Suri, Jasdeep Kaur, Sonu Gandhi, G. Shekhawat, Label-free ultra-sensitive detection of
atrazine based on nanomechanics, J. of Nanotechnology, 2008, 19, 235502, (Impact Factor-3.44).
40) Sonu Gandhi, Prince Sharma, Neena Capalash, R S Verma and C. Raman Suri, Group-selective
antibodies based fluorescence immunoassay for monitoring opiate drugs, Analytical and Bioanalytical
Chemistry, 2008, 392, 215-222, (Impact Factor-3.578).($ = as corresponding author)
Manuscripts review/revision/submitted/under preparation
1) Deepshikha Shahdeo, Prem P Tripathi, Sonu Gandhi$, Development of peptide functionalized gold nanoparticles for efficient targeting and imaging of urokinase plasminogen activator receptor in cancer
diagnostics, Theranostics, 2020 (under preparation), (Impact Factor- 8.0)
2) Subhasis Mahari, Sonu Gandhi$, Biomarkers of Ectopic Pregnancy diagnosis: A contemporary approach, Frontiers in Bioscience, 2020 (under preparation).
3) Deepshikha Shahdeo, Prem P Tripathi, Sonu Gandhi$, In-vitro targeting and imaging of ovarian cancer
cell using peptide functionalized gold nanoparticles, iScience, 2020 (under preparation).
4) Samaraggi Choudhury, Sonu Gandhi$, Iron oxide nanoparticles-a potential multifunctional agent for diagnosis and therapy, 2020 (under preparation).
5) Samaraggi Choudhury, Sonu Gandhi$, Gold nanoparticles as contrast agent for brain Glioma. 2020(under preparation).
6) Deepshikha Shahdeo, Naina Abbineni, Sonu Gandhi$, Determination of detectable limit of Ochratoxin A
in different poultry feeds using colorimetric and fluorescence based assays. 2020 (under preparation).
7) Narlawar Sagar Shrikrishna, Sonu Gandhi, Biosensor: a novel sensing platform for the detection of
pesticide: a comprehensive review, 2020 (under preparation).
8) Sandeep Kushwaha, Sonu Gandhi, Shailesh Sharma, Covid-19 research paper, 2020, (under preparation).
9) Sandeep Kushwaha, Sonu Gandhi, Shailesh Sharma, Covid-19 research paper, 2020, (under preparation).
10) Sandeep Kushwaha, Sonu Gandhi, OMICS review, 2020, (under preparation).
11) Akanksha Roberts, Subhasis Mahari, Deepshikha Shahdeo, Sonu Gandhi, Development of novel-in-
house printed circuit board based electrochemical sensor for rapid diagnosis of COVID-9. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2020, (under preparation).
12) Sandeep Kumar Kushwaha$, Veerbhan Kesarwani, Samraggi Choudhury, Sonu Gandhi, Shailesh Sharma, SARS-CoV-2 transcriptome analysis and molecular cataloguing of immunodominant epitopes for multi-epitope based vaccine design. Cell Host & Microbe (under preparation), 2020.
13) Jhillik Dey, Sonu Gandhi, PP Tripathi, Neuroinvasion of SARS-CoV-2 may play a role in the breakdown
of respiratory center of the brain, Neuroscience Bulletin, 2020, (submitted).
1) Nicolai Sidenius and Sonu Gandhi. Constitutively active uPAR variants and their use for the
generation and isolation of inhibitory antibodies. US Patent application number PCT/EP2012/065198,
International filing date 5th August 2011 (Granted).
2) Kannan M. Krishnan, Sonu Gandhi, Hamed Arami. Detection of cancer-specific proteases using
magnetic relaxation of peptide-conjugated nanoparticles in biological environment. US Patent
application number 62/234998, International filing date 30thSepetember 2015.
3) Sonu Gandhi. Rapid detection of morphine by dipstick kit using gold nanoparticles- single chain
fragment variable (AuNPs/scFv) antibody as immunoprobe. Patent application number 2017/11041780,
National filing date 22nd November 2017.
4) Sonu Gandhi. FTO/AuNPs-based nanosensor for Chlorpyrifos detection in fruits and vegetables.
Patent application number 2017/11044750, National filing date 14 December 2017.
5) Deepa Suhag, Alpana Sharma, Swati Kaushik, T Santhosh, R Kumar, and Sonu Gandhi. Hybrid
hydrogels as extracellular matrix biomimics for cruelty free high throughput anti-cancer drug screening.
National filing date 1st May 2019.
6) Kasoju Aruna, Sonu Gandhi. A microfluidic graphene vapor sensor as a device to detect Aflatoxins.
TEMP/E-1/24675/2019-CHE, National filing date 13th June 2019.
7) Kasoju Aruna, Sonu Gandhi. Smart Phone based colorimetric biosensor for the detection of aflatoxin
B1 using microfluidic paper device. Patent application number 201941047443, National filing date 21st
8) Sonu Gandhi, Subhasis Mahari, Akanksha Roberts, Ravi Kumar Vuddagiri, SYSTEM AND METHOD
OF ELECTROCHEMICALLY SENSING MOLECULES IN A SOLUTION. Patent application number
202041017366, National filing date 22nd April 2020.
Proceedings, Book, and Book chapter
1) Sonu Gandhi$(2013). Antibody based biosensor for the detection of opiate drugs. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing group. ISBN-13: 978-3847373872.
2) JN Tey, IPM Wijaya, Sonu Gandhi$, J Wei, I Rodriguez, SG Mhaisalkar (2010). An Amplification Strategy to Label Free Opiate Drug Detection using Liquid-Gated Carbon Nanotubes Transistor. Nanoscience and Technology Institute, ISBN: 978-1-4398-3401-5.
3) Priya Mishra, Tanya Munjal, Sonu Gandhi$(2019). Nanoparticles for detection, imaging and diagnostic applications in animals. Nanoscience for Sustainable Agriculture-Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-97851-2.
4) Ivneet Banga, Roshika Tyagi, Deepshikha Shahdeo, Sonu Gandhi$(2019). Biosensors and their applications for the detection of Avian Influenza Virus. Nanotechnology in Modern Animal Biotechnology-Elsevier. ISBN 978-0-12-818823-1.
5) Deepa Suhag, Deepshikha Shahdeo, Sonu Gandhi$(2019). Emerging trends and advances in targeted nanotheranostics. SMC Bulletin, 2019. ISSN 2394-5087.
6) Akanksha Roberts, Deepshikha Shahdeo, Sonu Gandhi$(2020). An overview of immobilization techniques and its applications. Immobilization Strategies: Biomedical, Bioengineering and Environmental Applications-Springer, (accepted).
7) Subhasis Mahari, Ivneet Banga, Deepshikha Shahdeo, Sonu Gandhi$(2020). Clinical and preclinical data of therapeutic peptides. Peptide and Peptidomimetic Therapeutics: From Bench to Bedside-Elsevier(submitted).
8) Narlawar Sagar Shrikrishna, Subhasis Mahari, Sergei A Eremin, Sonu Gandhi$(2020). New trends in Biosensor development for pesticide detection. Biosensors in Agriculture: Recent Trends and Future Perspectives-Springer Nature (submitted).
9) Akanksha Roberts, Deepshikha Shahdeo, Sonu Gandhi$ (2020). Graphene based sensors. Analytical
Applications of Graphene for Comprehensive Analytical Chemistry-Elsevier (under preparation).
Scholarships, Awards, and Honors
2020: Vice President of India (Shri Venkaiah Naidu) compliments scientists of NIAB for developing new
device to detect nCovid-19 antigen in human saliva within 30 seconds. (3/5/20)
2020: Research highlighted in The Hindu on “NIAB develops portable coronavirus detection kit”.
2020: Research highlighted in Nyoooz on “NIAB develops device to detect Covid in 30 seconds”.
2020: Research highlighted in Nature India on Ultrasensitive portable novel coronavirus detection kit,
2020: Research highlighted in Eennadu (local newspaper, Hyderabad) about Covid-19 detection
2020: Research highlighted in The New Indian Express. NIAB develops device to detect Covid in 30 seconds. https://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/hyderabad/2020/apr/27/niab-develops-device-to-detect-covid-in-30-seconds-2135799.html
2020: Outstanding Woman in Science in 5th Annual Women’s Meet-AWM 2020 from Venus
International Foundation, 7th March 2020, Green Park, Chennai, India.
2019: Co-chair a session on Animal Husbandry in 4th International conference on agriculture and animal
husbandry. 28th-30th August 2019, Central University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, India.
2019: Best Researcher Award of the Year from International Journal for Research under Literal
Access (IJRULA) at Trichy, Tamilnadu.
2019: DBT-BioCARe conclave award at NIPGR, New Delhi
2019: Best Young Scientist Award at IIT-BHU, Varanasi
2018: Research highlighted in Current Science India
2018: Distinguished speaker award in SELECT-BIO conference, Bangalore
2017: Visiting Faculty at Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia
2016: DBT-BioCAre women scientist award for research
2017: Best Young Investigator Award at IIT-BHU, Varanasi
2011: Won Prestigious 2 years Scholarship from Marie Curie cofund for post doc research
2011: Fellowship to participate in conference, University of Cambridge, UK
2010: Research highlighted in Nature India
2009: Research highlighted in Nature India
2008: Three months fellowship from NTU, Singapore for Ph.D work
2007: Award of senior research fellowship (SRF) fromCSIR
Membership of Societies
Executive council member of Biosensor Society of India (BSI) (2019-Lifetime)
Lifetime Member of World Research Council (WRC) (2019)
Associate Board Member of The Open Nanomedicine Journal (2019)
Member of American Society of Chemistry, USA (2017-till date)
Member of Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, United Kingdom (2016-till date)
Editorial Member of GRD journal of Engineering (2016)
Member of Indian Association of Nanoscience & Nanotechnology (2016)
Guest Editor for Journal of Nanomaterials (2015)
Professional and Mentorship Experiences
Nodal Officer in Vigyan Jyoti Scheme, DST from NIAB for JNV, Hyderabad
Reviewer of Gandhian Young Technological Innovation Awards (2020)
Managing Editor of Frontiers of Bioscience (1st Jan 2019-till date)
Advisory committee member for National conference in University of Pune held on 23-24 Feb, 2019
Reviewer for Bentham Journals, Drug Discovery Today, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Sensor &
Actuators: Physical, Analytica Chimica Acta, Frontiers in toxicology, Frontiers in pharmacology,
RSC Advances, Plos One, Journal of Nanomaterials
Ph.D. supervisor for three students at National Institute of Animal Biotechnology, Hyderabad, India
Mentored one post-graduate student for Master’s thesis at University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Mentored one post- graduate student for Master’s thesis at Amity University, Noida,India
Ms Ivneet Banga (worked as M. Tech. student at Amity University, Noida) working as Graduate student
at Department of Bioengineering, University of Texas, Arlington, TX, USA
Ms Roshika Tyagi (worked as Project Assistant in DBT-Biocare at Amity University, Noida) working as
Graduate student at University of Nevada, Reno.
Ms Ayusi Mondal (worked as Project Assistant in DBT-Biocare at NIAB, Hyderabad) working as
Master student at University of Leicester, London, UK
1) Sonu Gandhi, Functional Nanomaterials for Biological Applications. International Conference on
Advanced Lightweight Materials (ICALMS 2020), March 6-7, 2020 at CMS Technical College,
2) Sonu Gandhi, Diagnostics: a platform for rapid detection. National Conference on
Nano/Biotechnology (Nano/Bio-Tech 2019), December 19-21, 2019 at Jawaharlal Nehru University
(JNU), New Delhi, India.
3) Sonu Gandhi, Point of Care Diagnostics: a platform for rapid detection of diseases. International
Conference on Nanomaterials driven advances in chemical & biosensors, at Algappa
University,Karaikudi. 27th-29th November, 2019.
4) Sonu Gandhi, c-DNA workshop at CeNSE, Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore from 4-6
5) Sonu Gandhi, Protease as a biomarker for disease detection in animals. 4th International conference on
agriculture and animal husbandry. 28th-30th August 2019 Central University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, India.
6) Sonu Gandhi, Biosensors. Five Days Workshop on Research Informed and Research Oriented Teaching
in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 20th – 24th August 2019 at Central University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India.
7) Sonu Gandhi, Nanobiosensors for rapid detection of narcotic drugs. 6th June 2019 at Saha Institute of
Nuclear Physics (SINP), Kolkata, India.
8) Sonu Gandhi, Success stories, 1st DBT-BioCARe conclave: Women Scientists Achieving Great
Heights, 8-9th March, 2019 at Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and National Institute of Plant Genomic Research (NIPGR), New Delhi, India.
9) Anita Talan, Sergei A. Eremin, Ashok Kumar, Sonu Gandhi, Electrochemical immunosensor coated
with gold nanoparticles for ultrasensitive detection of chlorpyrifos in fruits and vegetables, (ICFNM
2019), February 22-25, 2019 at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Varanasi, India.
10) Sonu Gandhi, Dipstick as an Immunoprobe for Rapid Detection of Morphine by Gold Nanoparticles
labeled Single-Chain Fragment Variable Antibody (SELET-BIO), May 24-25, 2018 at Indian Institute of
Science (IISc), Bangalore, India.
11) Sonu Gandhi, Peptide based nanosensor for cancer specific proteases. Advances in biological system
and materials science in Nanoworld (ABSMSNW), February 19-20, 2017 at Indian Institute of
Technology (IIT), Varanasi, India.
12) Sonu Gandhi, Lactoferrin mediated delivery of iron oxide nanoparticles for glioma cells. Emerging
trends in biotechnology & drug discovery (ETBDD), February 10, 2017 at Institute of Genomics &
Integrative Biology (IGIB), New Delhi, India.
13) Sonu Gandhi, Peptide Conjugated Nanoparticles for the Detection of Cancer-Specific Proteases. 2nd International conference on recent advances in nanoscience and nanotechnology (ICRANN),
December 19-20, 2016 at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi, India.
14) Sonu Gandhi, Magnetic Relaxation of Peptide-Conjugated Nanoparticles for the Detection of Cancer-
Specific Proteases. National conference on Biotechnological Perspectives in Healthcare, 16th July, 2016 at IMS Engineering College, Ghaziabad, India.
1) Sonu Gandhi, Neena Capalash, Prince Sharma, C. Raman Suri, Detection of Heroin and Its Metabolites
in Urine Samples: A Chemiluminescence Approach. ICB 2016: 18th International Conference on
Biosensors. June 09-10, 2016, San Francisco, USA.
2) Sonu Gandhi, Hamed Arami, Kannan M. Krishnan, Oncogenic protease detection using magnetic
particle spectrometry IWMPI 2016. Conference Proceeding on Magnetic Particle Imaging in IEEE.
3) Kannan M Krishnan, Sonu Gandhi, Hamed Arami, Amit P. Khandhar, Surface Functionalized
Magnetite Nanoparticles: Novel Diagnostic Assays and Imaging Using Magnetic Relaxation Dynamics.
40th MRS Fall meeting and Exhibit, 29th November-4th December, 2015, Boston, Massachusetts,USA.
4) Sonu Gandhi, Asahi Tomitaka, Hamed Arami, Kannan M Krishnan. Magnetic particle spectroscopy of
glioma cells targeted with lactoferrin-conjugated iron oxide nanoparticle contrast agents, Conference
Proceeding on Magnetic Particle Imaging in IEEE. (IWMPI 2015).
5) Sonu Gandhi, Sidenius N, Generation of a potent uPAR-antagonist by forced-proximity engineering of
the receptor binding domains of urokinase and vitronectin, European Journal of Cancer, 2013, 49, S212-
6) JN Tey, Sonu Gandhi, IPM Wijaya, J Wei, CR Suri, I Rodriguez, SG Mhaisalkar, Liquid Gated Carbon
Nanotubes Field Effect Transistors (LG-CNTFET) Platform for Herbicide Sensing, ASME 2009
International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, IEEE, 2009, 249-254.
Selected Presentation in International Conferences
1) Anita Talan, Sergei A. Eremin, Ashok Kumar, Sonu Gandhi, International Conference on Functional
Nanomaterials (ICFNM 2019), February 22-25, 2019 at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Varanasi,India.
2) Sonu Gandhi, Biomarkers- From Research to Commercialization (SELET-BIO), May 24-25, 2018 at
Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, India.
3) Akansha Srivastava, Sonu Gandhi, Alesh Kumar, R. K. Singhal, Manoj Shrivastava, International
conference on Innovations and research in agriculture, food science, forestry, horticulture, aquaculture,
animal science, biodiversity, ecology and climate change (AFHABEC), May 19, 2018 at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi, India.
4) Sonu Gandhi, C Raman Suri, International Scientific Conference on Engineering and Applied Sciences (ISCEAS 2017), 24-26 May 2017, Bangkok, Thailand.
5) Sonu Gandhi, Peptide based nanosensor for cancer specific proteases. Advances in biological system
and materials science in Nanoworld (ABSMSNW), February 19-20, 2017 at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Varanasi, India.
6) Sonu Gandhi, 6th International Conference and Exhibition on Biosensors & Bioelectronics, September
22-23, 2016 Phoenix, USA.
7) Sonu Gandhi, Hamed Arami, Kannan M Krishnan, 6th International Workshop on Magnetic Particle Imaging (IWMPI 2016), 16-18 March 2016, Lubeck, Germany.
8) Kannan M Krishnan, Sonu Gandhi, Hamed Arami, Amit P. Khandhar, 40th MRS Fall meeting and Exhibit, 29th November- 4th December, 2015, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
9) Sonu Gandhi, Asahi Tomitaka, Hamed Arami, Kannan M Krishnan, 5th International Workshop on Magnetic Particle Imaging (IWMPI 2015) held on 26-28 March 2015, Istanbul, Turkey.
10) Sonu Gandhi, Sidenius N, European Cancer Congress: Reinforcing Multidisciplinarity, Amsterdam, The Netherlands held in 27 September-01 October 2013.
11) Sonu Gandhi, Sidenius N, Mechanism of cell transformation and metastasis: Symposium IFOM-Kyoto University, Campus IFOM-IEO, held on 25-27 October 2012 in Milan, Italy.
12) Sonu Gandhi, Sidenius N, XIIIth International Workshop on Molecular & Cellular Biology of Plasminogen Activation held on 9-13 July 2011 in University of Cambridge, United Kingdom.